To reside in Australia indefinitely, a valid permanent resident visa is required. If you wish to stay longer and your PR visa is about to expire, you must renew it to stay out of trouble with the law.
Take your time and read through this post to obtain all the information you need on the requirements and the proper steps to follow if you want to renew your Australian permanent resident visa and are looking for a roadmap to follow.
You can live, work, and study continuously in Australia if you have a Permanent Resident (PR) visa. Family visas and a few skilled worker visas are the most popular categories.
How to Renew an Australian Permanent Resident (PR) Visa
How to Renew an Australian Permanent Resident Visa Online:
The detailed procedure for renewing a permanent residence visa online has been covered in this article.
Step 1: Verify your RRV Visa Eligibility
Step 2: Compile the paperwork you’ll need to submit with your visa application.
Step 3: Submit an online visa application:
1. Visit the website of the Department of Home Affairs
2. Create an Immi account and sign in to it.
3 Add the necessary paperwork.
4. Fill out the application and submit it online.
5. The renewal PR cost (non-refundable)
Step 4: Await the Answer
You will be notified that your application for a visa renewal has been received once you have successfully submitted it.
Processing may take a few weeks to several months. After processing, the relevant authority contacts you to inquire about the status of your application. You can check the status of your application.
Step 5: Visa Decision
The concerned team will give you written notice of your visa information after your visa application has been approved. It will consist of:
- Visa issuer number
- Start date for the visa
- Visa requirements to apply.
However, the department of immigration must notify you in writing if it rejects your request for a visa. You are entitled to review the judgment.
You can live, work, and study in Australia without any restrictions while also receiving Medicare benefits if you have a valid permanent resident visa. When your travel facility expires, it is crucial to apply for a resident return visa before departing the country.
Therefore, it is essential to confirm your circumstances before leaving on another journey.
1. What Requirements Must Be Met in Australia for a PR Renewal?
To be eligible to renew your Australian PR visa, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- You must be a permanent resident of Australia.
- You should be a respectable and fit individual.
- You need to have a current passport.
- You must have been an Australian permanent resident in the past whose most recent PR visa was not revoked.
- Be a former Australian citizen who has given up or lost their citizenship.
- You must adhere to the immigration office’s outlined health standards. It entails doing a thorough medical examination to ensure that you don’t have any conditions that would require expensive medical care, would put a strain on Australian healthcare systems, or would pose a threat to the general public’s health.
2. Why Does Having a Current Visa Matter?
Continuing to reside in Australia without a valid visa is illegal. The Australian Immigration Department may take the following action against you if your visa has expired:
- Hold you
- Expel you from the nation and bill you for the associated expenses.
Either you leave the country or renew your visa before it expires to avoid the aforementioned repercussions.
3. Does My Australian Permanent Residency Visa Need to Be Renewed?
For as long as you reside in Australia, there is no need to renew it. If you need to travel abroad after your permanent visa has expired, things could get tricky.
Going abroad wouldn’t present any problems, but coming back to Australia without a valid visa presents difficulties. If you cannot present a valid PR visa, you might not be permitted to enter the Australian airport. Therefore, if you want to travel abroad, you need to make sure your visa is still valid.
What should you do if you want to travel abroad after your permanent visa expires? To be permitted to return to Australia in such a situation, you must submit an application for a Resident Return Visa.
4. When Should You Submit an RRV Application?
When the “travel facility date” of your Australian PR visa has passed or is about to so, that is the ideal moment to apply for an RRV visa. Obtain this visa before departing Australia.
5. What Affects Your Resident Renewal Visa’s (RRV) Duration?
Make sure you have lived in Australia for at least five years before applying for this visa. The length of the visa could vary depending on how long you have been a permanent resident of Australia:
- Five years: If you had at least two years of continuous residence in the five years prior to requesting a visa.
- One year: If you have been in Australia for less than two years in the five years before applying for a visa, you can demonstrate your ties to the country, which are advantageous to Australia as a whole. Examples of these ties include family, community, employment, etc.
- Three months: If you haven’t resided in Australia for more than two years in the five years before applying for a visa and you can’t demonstrate any strong personal ties to Australia that are advantageous to the nation, such as those with family, friends, or a place of business.
Unfortunately, if you have not visited Australia in the last two years, you are not eligible for an RRV
6. How long does the RRV visa renewal process take?
Your application will be processed between 22 and 6 months.
7. What is the cost of renewing a permanent resident visa in Australia?
If you apply online, the renewal charge for a PR in Australia is AUD $405. Offline applicants must also pay an extra $80.
8. What Is the RRV Visa’s Validity Period?
Subclass 155 and 157 visas, which are regarded as perpetual visas, have an endless validity period. Even if the travel facility expires, you can still live there legally. These visas do not, however, last indefinitely if you travel abroad.
If you meet the 2-year residency requirements or have commercial, employment, or personal relationships that may benefit Australia, your resident return visa (subclass 155) is valid for five years.
However, if you go outside of Australia after the travel facility has expired, your visa will expire when you depart the country.
Therefore, before departing Australia, you should renew your resident return visa. You can also apply for it from another country.
A Resident Return visa (subclass 157) has a three-month maximum validity period. It is appropriate for those who fall short of the 2-year residency requirement and have no personal or professional ties to Australia yet urgently need to travel abroad.
9. How to Determine the Conditions and Expiration Date of a Visa
It’s quick fast to check your visa’s conditions and expiration date.
A simple platform is offered by Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for use by individuals with valid visas, educational institutions, employers, and other organizations.
These particulars include:
• What kind of visa do you presently possess
• When the visa will expire
• The “date” “must not be after”
• The length of the stay
• The dos and don’ts of conditions
You can check your visa grant letter to do this. The Apple and Google app stores both provide a free download of the “my Vevo app.”