If you are an African student looking for scholarships to study in the USA, then you are in the right place. In this article, we will provide you with a list of scholarships in USA for African students.
There are a number of scholarships in USA for African students that can help cover the cost of tuition, housing, and other associated expenses.
List of Scholarships in USA for African Students 2023/24
The USA is home to some of the best colleges and universities in the world. It also offers a wide range of scholarship opportunities for international students. Here is a list of some of the most popular scholarships in USA for African students:
#1. Fulbright Foreign Student Program
Fulbright Foreign Student Program in USA 2023 is for students who want to get a Masters or PhD in any field and take any course offered by universities. You can apply for this scholarship here. Deadline varies is the last day you can send in your application.
This scholarship comes from the US Federal Government, and it pays for full tuition, airfare, a living stipend, health insurance, and other benefits.
This scholarship is open to anyone from a country other than the USA. Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or U.S. Embassies are in charge of running the Fulbright Foreign Student Program. All applications for the Foreign Student Program are taken care of by these offices.
Deadline: Deadline varies
Applicants must have either a four-year bachelor’s degree or a finished master’s degree, or a full-time postgraduate diploma from a recognized Indian institution if their bachelor’s degree was less than four years.
- Before the application deadline, candidates must have at least three years of full-time, paid work experience in a field related to the one they want to study.
- Candidates should have experience in being a leader and helping the community.
- Applicants can’t already have a degree from a U.S. university or be in a degree program in the U.S.
- If you have a job, you should carefully follow the instructions about employer’s endorsement. If it’s necessary, get the FNMasters Employer’s Endorsement Form signed by the right administrative authority. The employer must say that the employee can take time off for the fellowship.
The fellowship will pay for the J-1 visa, round-trip economy class air travel from the fellow’s home city to the host institution in the U.S., funding for tuition and fees, living and other costs, and accident and sickness coverage according to U.S. Government rules.
#2. The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program(JJ/WBGSP)
The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP) gives scholarships to college students from both countries. The scholarship is for people who want a master’s degree in Economic Policy Management, Tax Policy, or Infrastructure Management. You can apply for this scholarship here.
The World Bank offers this scholarship and pays for full tuition, economy-class airfare, a $500 travel allowance, and a monthly living allowance. Citizens of developing countries can apply for this scholarship.
Deadline: 28 Feb 2023
- The applicant must be a citizen of a developing country that is a member of the World Bank.
- You can’t be a citizen of more than one developed country.
- Be happy and healthy.
- The candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent degree earned at least three years before the deadline.
- Should have at least three years of recent work experience in development after getting a Bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent).
- When the scholarship application is due, the candidate must be working full-time in a job with something to do with development. Have worked in development for at least three years after getting a Bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent university degree) and within the last six years from the date of the application deadline.
- Be admitted unconditionally (except for funding) for the next academic year to at least one of the JJ/WBGSP participating master’s programs outside the applicant’s country of citizenship and country of residence at the time the call for scholarship applications opens. This must be done before the Scholarship Application Deadline date.
How people are chosen:
The JJ/WBGSP uses the following process to review scholarship applications from citizens of developing countries. The goal is to find the candidates who are most likely to make a difference in the development of their countries after they finish their graduate studies.
- Two qualified assessors look at each eligible application on their own and give it a score between 1 and 10 based on four main factors and how well they work together:
- Quality of Work Experience (30% of the total weight)
- Quality of Recommendations from Professionals (30% of the weight)
- How committed you are to your home country is worth 30% of your score.
- Background in Education (10% of the weight)
2. The JJ/WBGSP Secretariat picks the finalists based on the average score of the two judges and the following criteria:
- Keeping awards spread out over a fair amount of territory
- Keeping an even number of awards for each gender; Taking into account unusual circumstances or hardships when judging work experience and other parts of an application;
- Giving scholarships to applicants who, if everything else is the same, only have a little money to pay for graduate school abroad.
#3. Merit scholarships for incoming first-year students at IUPUI
Scholarships based on merit are available for first-year students at IUPUI in 2023 who want to get a Bachelor’s degree in any of the fields the school offers. Here is where you can apply for this scholarship.
The last day to send in your application is February 15, 2023. This scholarship is given by Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, and it’s worth up to $18,000 per year. This scholarship is open to anyone from any country other than the US.
Deadline: 15 Feb 2023
- Students in their first year must send in their SAT or ACT scores. If you take the tests more than once, send in every score.
- The applicant must be a full-time student in both the fall and spring semesters.
- To keep the scholarships from year to year, applicants must keep a GPA of 3.0.
- Scholarship money can’t be used to study English as a Second Language (ESL) in depth.
#4.Bethany Lutheran College Academic Scholarships
The Bethany Lutheran College Academic Scholarships 2023 are for people who want to get a Bachelor’s degree in any field that the college offers.
You can apply for this scholarship here. The last day to send in your application is February 28, 2023. Bethany Lutheran College gives this scholarship, and it’s worth between $32,000 and $100,000 or more. This scholarship is for: Anyone from any country.
Deadline: 28 Feb 2023
- An ACT score of 26 or better, with a GPA of 3.6 or better: Meyer, Ylvisaker, and Presidential Scholarships: Four Ylvisaker Scholarships and one Meyer Scholarship are given annually.
- Luther Scholarship: An ACT score of 23 or higher and a GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Bethany Grant has a GPA of at least 2.8 and an ACT score of at least 20.
- Opportunity Grant is a formula of the ACT/SAT and GPA.
Getting an application:
When you apply to Bethany Lutheran College, you are automatically considered for the Presidential Scholarship, Luther Scholarship, Bethany Grant, and Opportunity Grant.
Every year, all academic scholarships are given out. To renew, you have to show that you are making good academic progress.
#5. EAA Flight Training Scholarships
The EAA Flight Training Scholarships 2023 are for people who want to get a degree in Training and Short Courses in the field of Flight Training. Applying for this scholarship is available here. The Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) is the provider of this scholarship, which has a Partial Funding value of at least $5,000. This scholarship is available to All citizens.
The application process is open to citizens of all nations. All scholarships, nevertheless, must be applied to a flight training program in the US or Canada.
Deadline: The application submission date is March 1, 2023.
- To be eligible to apply for a flight training scholarship, a candidate must be at least 16 years old.
- You will be required to provide the name of one character reference on your application.
- Your reference will receive a link to complete the online recommendation as soon as you submit your application.
- Before the application deadline, kindly request that your reference complete the recommendation.
- If the suggestion is not finished by the deadline, applications will be deemed incomplete and not accepted.
The List of Scholarships in USA for African Students 2023/24 is a comprehensive list of scholarships available to African students who wish to study in the United States.